If your Annual Gross Income (AGI) is less than $73,000 and you are a member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians (EBCI), you can have your taxes prepared free of charge at the EBCI Extension Office through volunteer income tax assistance (VITA).
Due to the increase in COVID cases, this year will begin using a drop-off pickup system and may change to face-to-face at a later date. Call 359-6939 or 359-6938 to schedule a drop-off appointment. During your appointment, you will need to complete a short intake form. Drop-off appointments will begin on Monday, February 14 and run Monday through Thursday. Remember to wear a mask and not come if you have any symptoms of COVID or have been quarantined due to a positive test or contact tracing. Customers with symptoms will be asked to reschedule their drop off or pickup.
Bring the following items with you to your appointment/drop-off:
- All income related forms such as: W-2, 1099 Misc., 1099-I, SSA-1099, etc.
- Photo ID such as a driver’s license or photo registration card
- Social security card and date of birth for each household member
- Federally Recognized Tribe Registration Card for North Carolina Tax Exemption
- Bank account information if you want the tax return to be filed directly
- Last year’s tax return (if possible)
- The program does not cover rental income (Schedule E), dividend and investment income (Schedule B) and Complex Schedule C.
- Press release from the extension office of the EBCI cooperative