Last update of the income tax return: The deadline for filing income tax returns is almost near. According to the notification from the CBDT, the last date to file an RTI is December 31. Many have already filed their ITRs and those who have not yet filed must do so by the last date. Failure to file the RTI can get you in trouble and therefore the submission should be done before the deadline.Also Read – Income Tax Return: Taxpayers Can Now File an ITR from Home Using New Electronic Tax Filing Portal | Step by step guide here
For taxpayers, the Central Commission for Direct Taxes (CBDT) has planned several counters for filing the RTI before December 31. the CBDT. Also Read – Tax Return Alert: Government Releases New Order, Allows 26AS Information List to Include Foreign Remittances and Mutual Funds
However, to make the RTI filing process easier and more taxpayer friendly, the CBDT has launched an electronic filing portal, using which one can file their RTIs online. Recently, the Income Tax Department revealed that more than 3 crore of computer returns had already been filed on the e-filing portal until December 3. Read also – Tax return alert: these taxpayers will not pay late fees even if they miss the deadline
Income tax return: step-by-step guide to filing ITRs on the new portal
- Visit the official website of the electronic income tax portal.
- Click on the “login here” option on the home page.
- Next, you need to enter the Permanent Account Number (PAN) in the âEnter your User IDâ option, then press the Continue button.
- At this stage, the taxpayer must confirm the âsecure access messageâ he has received. After that click on continue.
- Now you have to choose whether to receive the six-digit one-time password (OTP) by SMS or voice call.
- Shortly after selecting the option, click Enter.
- In particular, the OTP will only be valid for 15 minutes, after which it will be necessary to generate a new one and will have a total of three chances to enter the correct OTP.
- Then you can use the registered Aadhaar number or online banking to log into the electronic income tax filing portal.
- When using the Aadhaar option, the number as well as the OTP that will come in the registered mobile phone number must be provided, while for online banking services, the taxpayer must enter their username and password. password to access the account.
- Once the login process is complete, IT declarations for the 2021-2022 fiscal year should be processed in accordance with the instructions given on the screen.
Taxpayers should note that failing to meet the deadline for filing the computerized return will result in a penalty and, therefore, make you pay more taxes.