Capital Area United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program is open for the 2021 tax season, which officially began Jan. 24, according to a news release.
The VITA program provides free year-round tax preparation to people in the community, especially low-income workers, seniors and people with disabilities, according to the statement.
VITA will run through Tax Day, April 15, with 22 permanent locations and seven mobile locations opening for in-person appointments or drop-offs. United Way 211/CAUW accepts appointments for VITA.
Volunteers will begin preparing taxes virtually through www.getyourrefund.org/CAUWBR. The virtual tax preparation service is scheduled to launch on February 7. The online service myfreetaxes.com opened on January 24 and customers will be able to do their own taxes for free.
VITA locations in the Zachary area include 5736 Rollins Road, Zachary and Baker Branch Library, 3501 Groom Road, Baker.
Livingston Parish VITA locations include the Southeastern Livingston Center, 9261 Florida Blvd., Walker and Livingston Branch Library, 20390 Iowa St., Livingston.
The VITA site in the includes Family Service Center, 9794 Bains Road, St. Francisville.
In Ascension Parish, VITA tax preparation assistance can be found at Holy Rosary, 4450 La. 429, St. Amant, and River Parishes Community College Gonzales, 925 W Edenborne Parkway, Gonzales.
In addition to regular VITA locations, CAUW will bring back the annual Super Tax Day event from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on February 19, at the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd., Baton Rouge. Super Tax Day is walk-in only and no appointments will be accepted. No customers will be checked in after 3:00 p.m.
For information on other VITA sites and services, visit Call 211, visit www.cauw.org/vita or text “freetaxes” to 313131.
Certified Tax Preparation Volunteers need the following documents to work on your taxes:
- Photo ID (for you and your spouse, if filing jointly)
- Social Security or ITN card for each family member in your household
- W-2 forms for all jobs, all 1099 or 1098 forms, and information about other income received
- Name, address and tax identification number of child care provider
- Current and savings account numbers
- Last year’s tax return
- 1095-A Health Insurance Market Statement (if applicable)
- Stimulus payments: IRS letter 1444-C or bank verification of stimulus amount received (if applicable)
- Enhanced child tax credit: IRS letter 6419 (if applicable)
- Other relevant income and expense information